Help us shape the future. Elevate is changing the way legal support services are delivered and we are looking for creative, innovative people who can help. If you are a client-focused professional who wants your ideas to make a difference, Elevate's team of highly regarded legal service experts could be the right fit for you.
Elevate is a next generation global legal service provider that ranked 53rd on the Inc. 5000 in 2016, a prestigious annual ranking of the fastest growing private companies. We help law firms and corporate legal departments with practical ways to improve efficiency, quality and outcomes.
At Elevate we live our core values.
We deliver - We are careful about the commitments we make to our customers and to each other. We do what we say we will.
We Innovate - We celebrate creativity. We challenge the status quo and continuously ask of ourselves, and each other how can we improve.
We care - We listen to our customers’ needs and help them solve their business problems. Our work is a positive influence on our personal lives and the lives of our families.
The legal industry is changing and Elevate’s team are already some of the most respected leaders in the sector as we continue to deliver cutting edge products and services in support of our clients.
Elevate’s client and Multi-national Corporation is currently undergoing significant change across its Compliance and Data Protection functions as they react to the changing regulatory landscape. To support this change, Elevate is setting up a new legal function which will ensure the company is GDPR compliant.
As an Elevate Senior Legal Counsel, you will manage the Data Protection project. The role will require the day to day management of the project and will require excellent project management skills and a thorough knowledge of Data Protection law.
The successful candidate will be an experienced lawyer with excellent knowledge and experience in Compliance and Data Protection.
You might be the right person if you:
- Have excellent knowledge of Compliance and Data Protection issues facing corporations.
- Are looking for a service orientated management role with great growth potential.
- Are an experienced and efficient project manager.
- Are a creative and process orientated thinker who is able to solve problems.
- Are passionate about delivering excellent quality and service.
- Are a proven leader and motivator of people.
- Like the sound of working in a fast-paced dynamic environment.
Specifically you will be:
- Providing legal and commercial advice and solutions for the company in the areas of data protection & ethics.
- Leading on all aspects of data privacy requirements under applicable Data Protection Act legislation in the UK and Ireland including the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR).
- Leading, project managing and implementing the company’s GDPR compliance programme for the UK and Ireland.
- Establishing and implementing the company’s Data Protection & ethics policies, processes, training and supporting materials.
- Advising senior teams, data controllers and data processors in relation to privacy requirements.
- Reporting performance and compliance metrics to the UK and Ireland Regional Counsel, Risk Management Committee and Regional Leadership Committee.
- Supporting other lawyers regarding legal data protection and ethics queries.
- Experience of working with a large multi-site services organisation with Legal, IT, Business and other functions.
- Experience of working in a matrix management model where achievement of objectives will rely upon work performed by those outside of direct management control.
- Practical understanding of data security techniques and with the principles of ISO27001.
- Clearance to HMG Official Secure level, IL3.
- Fully mobile (UK / Ireland Driving Licence) and flexible to travel across the UK&I Region.
- Demonstrated experience in data protection law and practice.
- Ability to implement complex solutions which have a significant beneficial impact.
Skills for Success:
- The role holder must have unquestionable integrity and be able to work independently.
- Be the unequivocal authority on all aspects of DPA and GDPR matters (technical and legal).
- Be able to advise data controllers and processors alike when the advice is not always what the stakeholder wishes to hear.
- Clear and concise in written and verbal communication and able to present to senior levels.
- Logical and able to manage data privacy projects including those where the company engages 3rd party service providers.
- Be able to clear HMG security vetting to Official Sensitive (IL3).
- Analytical thinking and decision making skills; able to analyse complex situations by looking at multiple causes and effects so that resources are focussed in the right areas.
- Strong relationship management skills and proven ability to create networks and build influence and advocacy across different businesses and stakeholder groups.
- Project, leadership and change management skills.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Effective presentation skills, written and oral communication skills are essential.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent.
- Qualified solicitor or barrister in the UK or equivalent jurisdiction.
- At least 3-5 years’ in-house experience of data protection compliance.
- Privacy Practitioner qualification in DPA and GDPR would be desirable.
- At least two modern European languages would be a bonus.