The legal industry is changing and Elevate’s team are some of the most respected leaders in the sector as we continue to deliver cutting edge products and services in support of legal departments and law firms globally.
On behalf of a Top Tier Global Bank, we are looking for an Junior Lawyer to support the banks Monitor Liason Office (MLO).
The MLO has a high profile and important role within the Group – namely, to provide an efficient and effective interface between the bank and the external corporate compliance Monitor appointed by the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the UK Financial Conduct Authority, and the US Federal Reserve Board to evaluate the Group's compliance with relevant 2012 settlement agreements, including the Deferred Prosecution Agreement with DOJ.
The right applicant needs to be experienced, very organised, capable of dealing with very senior managers and confidential information plus co-ordinate across different areas.
Your role will include:
- Assisting the MLO office and the Legal COO on matters as required.
- Managing individual issues to a conclusion as appropriate.
- Providing consistent, high quality paralegal support.
- Ensuring that all work is undertaken in a professional manner.
- Working independently and managing competing priorities appropriately.
Specifically you will be:
- Providing legal assistance and support to help facilitate MLO activities; including assisting with responses to the Monitor documents, interviews, and other requests, This may include coordinating Legal documents for review for proposed responses to the Monitor.
- The role holder will also provide a balance of administrative and legal support to the Legal COO to assist with activities which respond to requests from the Monitor.
- Some of these tasks will involve more lawyer supervision than others, and the job holder will be expected to use his / her initiative, as appropriate, to identify the more effective and efficient way to complete tasks that are set.
- The paralegal may be requested to assist with preparation of legal documents, perform legal research and prepare documents under the supervision of the Legal COO. Due to the nature of the work, the role holder must have the ability to work in an efficient, informed, accurate and confidential manner.
Skills for success:
- The ability to analyse large amounts of data.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Close attention to detail.
- Good communication skills.
- The ability to work on confidential matters and keep them confidential.
- High level of IT literacy.
- A willingness to learn and a determination to develop a better understanding of the legal function.
- Must be able to work well under pressure.
- Some experience of working in a legal department would be useful, although not essential.
- Experience of working as part of a team, and occasionally under time pressure.
- A general understanding of the Bank’s corporate structure.
- BA from a respected University.