Help us shape the future. Elevate Services is changing the way legal support services are delivered and we are looking for creative, innovative people who can help. If you are a client-focused professional who wants your creative and innovative ideas to make a difference, Elevate's team of highly regarded legal service experts could be the right fit for you.
Elevate seeks a Director, Legal Services - Contracts and M&A Services who will be responsible for developing and growing Elevate's Contracts and M&A service offerings and related business across the globe. The position will have P&L responsibility for this business line and will report to Elevate's VP of Legal Services.
The position's responsibilities include all aspects of building and growing a successful contracts and M&A business. This includes developing compelling solutions, selecting or building and implementing technology, designing effective services methods, processes, metrics, roles and responsibilities and quality steps, and growing sales of these solutions to corporations and law firms. The position will work closely with Elevate's Sales, Marketing, Products, Consulting and Services organizations to achieve these objectives.
You Might be the Right Person If you...
- Have deep knowledge of how contract and M&A services get delivered and yearn to show how these can be done better
- Are a self-starter and can operate independently
- Are looking for high visibility role with great growth potential as part of a legal services management team with a proven track record
- Are focused on providing excellent customer service
- Are an original thinker who is able to solve problems and put repeatable systems of work in place
- Are passionate about delivering excellent quality and service that has an impact for demanding customers
- Are a proven leader and motivator of people
- Work well in a matrixed environment
- Like the sound of working in a fast-paced dynamic environment for a quickly growing international company
Specifically You Will be...
- Setting and achieving the revenue and profitability budget
- Developing a suite of repeatable, scalable services that integrate process, technology and right sourcing to provide Elevate with a competitive advantage in the market place
- Growing Elevate's transactional services business by developing sales materials, providing sales training, and assisting sales in preparing proposals, responding to RFPs, and closing transactional services opportunities
- Working with Sales Head to define sales targets
- Working with Sales, Services and Finance to define pricing
- Working with Marketing Head to develop effective marketing programs, provide content, and speak at conferences and write articles as personal thought leader and improve Elevate brand
- Serving as a subject matter expert and/or project lead on specific transactional services engagements to assist in the delivery of those engagements and to accelerate Elevate's development of repeatable transactional services. This includes using individual engagements to create; creating a framework of checklists, playbooks, workflows, reporting and other artifacts essential to delivering transactional services effectively.
- Defining the technology needs to automate our transactional services and teaming with the Products organization to implement a strategy for building these tools and/or partnering with third party vendors
- Training junior personnel to design, sell, and deliver transactional services solutions
- Working with the Services organization to ensure an optimized delivery model that yields compelling quality and efficiency
Specifically, you will perform the following tasks in the following areas:
SALES AND MARKETING SUPPORT
- Provide support throughout the entire process from opportunity identification, to proposal preparation, to consultative sale, to closing of contract
- Participate in sales team meetings to review pipeline activity, proposals, strategy, resources, and best practices
- Assist sales team and consultants in Contracts and M&A sales pursuits
- Attend key industry conferences and company-sponsored customer events
PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION AND TRAINING
- Develop training topics/subject matter for local and remote contracts teams including creating personnel development milestones with the assistance of HR
- Communicate with the customer and/or outside counsel to establish project objectives, scope substantive parameters of the project, select proper technology, and estimate project timelines and budgets.
- Suggest appropriate uses of technology and workflows, including the ability to integrate quality control workflows involving the customer and senior associates
- Oversee progress of work to ensure delivery of all work product within established timeframes and standards of quality meets solution objectives
- Lead development of best practice training materials, checklists, workflows, Standard Operating Procedures, to train services teams on solutions
- Develop and maintain KM data repository of above to catalogue, store and share collateral developed for the Contracts and M&A team
- Develop training programs and monitor progress of employees (permanent and contract) in meeting professional development milestones
- Build and leverage relationships with outside contacts (i.e., law departments, outside counsel and other legal services suppliers/vendors) for best practices/knowledge sharing
- Coordinate with Finance to prepare department budgets and forecast
- Develop pricing for projects
- Work with Finance and Services to define billing process standards
- Develop performance metrics against project budgets
- Compile financial and other types of data from projects to assist in improving solutions
- Identify trends and drivers of costs and provide recommendations regarding productivity and process improvements
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with other offices and departments in the company
- Promote uniformity of procedures across Services globally and consistent high quality of final work product
Skills for Success
- A deep knowledge of how business transactions get structured, negotiated, closed and managed
- A strong understanding of financial concepts, including an ability to show how innovation in the delivery of legal services impacts a company's financial objectives
- A strong understanding of process, including an ability to optimize the processes associated with high volume contracting activities
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects in multiple locations
- Ability to handle multiple tasks through prioritization and time management skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Ability to travel and work internationally
- Effective at consulting with customers to identify the most efficient approach for their needs
- Can solve problems in a way that instills customer confidence, wins repeat business and generates excellent referrals
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate effectively to all levels of a professional organization ranging from the C Suite to junior professionals
- A passion for building things and changing the world, together of an understanding of how to drive change in large organizations
- Demonstrated proficiency in managing and working with people working across the globe and in remote work environments
- Strong technical skills as listed below
- Experience with budget development and working with spreadsheets
- A strong understanding of technology, including the various components of a contract lifecycle management system, coupled with experience in implementing IT systems
- Experience with leading & emerging CLM systems preferred (e.g., Apttus, Ariba, Seal, Kira, KM Standards, LawGeex, LegalSifter, etc.)
- Ability to work with VP Legal Services and VP Products and Innovation and others to evaluate new technology and partnerships and ensure appropriate features and functionality are integrated throughout contracts solutions - in some cases through partnership and in other cases through building proprietary Elevate products
- Ability to educate customers, colleagues, and review teams on best practices associated with technology integration.
- Ability to manage relationships with technology vendors to update and maintain systems and tools.
- 10+ years of successful experience leading a practice, building a business, or selling contracts and M&A transactions in some combination of a large law department, a quality law firm and/or a legal consulting firm or law company
- A background in both operations and law, with a focus on business transactions
- A demonstrated interest and track record of working in entrepreneurial environments that call for both being a self-starter who takes ownership and proactively drives project and being a team player who works well with others
- A JD and/or MBA
- A track record of success in demanding environments
- Experience working with cross-border project teams
- Experience with Compliance, people management, Lean or Six Sigma, and/or product marketing is a plus
- JD and/or MBA is required
- Lean or Six Sigma certifications are a plus
Elevate is the law company. We provide consulting, technology and services to law departments and law firms. Our global team of lawyers, engineers, consultants and business experts improve efficiency, quality and outcomes for customers worldwide. Elevate’s achievements and distinctions include:
Ranked on the Inc. 5000 list of Fastest-Growing Private Companies two years in a row.
Ranked as a top Global Services Provider by Chambers & Partners three years in a row.
Lead Partner of the FT Innovative Lawyers Awards.
At Elevate we live our core values:
We Deliver. We are careful about the commitments we make to our customers and each other. We do what we say we will.
We Innovate. We celebrate creativity. We challenge the status quo and continuously ask ourselves, and each other how can we improve.
We Care. We listen to our customers’ needs and help them solve their business problems. Our work is a positive influence on our personal lives and the lives of our families.